Monday, April 4, 2011

Installation Write Up

The process of the installation art was tough at first because it was such a new concept to me. At first I had a load of trouble with the brainstorming part of the project as I would finally think of a good idea and hold onto it. The see through paper was helpful to play around with different installations in different spot while saving paper. I looked at a few spots and decided that my installations n those spaces were too large, and complicated. The space I chose was the front wall of the school (library, squash courts) and focused on transforming this space. I played with a bridge, mirrors, and many other ideas. I finally changed my mind and went with a simpler idea, which was to change the space using two elements of design, colour and line. I tried as much as possible to emphasize the colour green, which represents out school colour’s and signifies school spirit and a connection to what goes on inside the walls. I also used line in many ways. I used vertical green posts, and diagonal stairs to create a lot of different line forms, vertical and diagonal, moving the viewer’s eye all over the wall. I also used a mural background, which creates movement, as the bubbles seem to be rising to the top. As I mentioned earlier of there were a couple of ideas I didn’t include. Things such as a bridge from the library to the field, as I felt this was too complicated and unnecessary in the end. The two artists who I found inspiring were Dan Flavin and Anish Kapoor. I enjoyed Flavin’s use of vibrant colour and line, and shape distortion (walls). I enjoyed this piece done by Anish Kapoor, as it uses the same idea of using mirrors to reflect the outside situation. Connect with its surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment