Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Final Summative First Written Proposal


1.             How do technical approaches shape my own personal expression?

·      Technical approaches have a great impact on my own personal expression. The paintings that I wish to do are a lot about wavy lines but at the same time very intense detail. By trying to hone the technical side of the work find that I start to develop a kind of painting style, which would be a large use of thicker paint, usually giving off a warm feeling (warm colours). Also I find when I come into a painting trying to paint a certain style or way, the painting comes out not like I expected but with a bit of my own personal expression which I think is very neat.

How can I develop my interest and ideas into a body of coherent art works?

·      I feel that I have a lot of experience on this subject as I have been around these scenes (Georgian bay) every summer. This makes me want to pick up the paintbrush and learn how to portray these scenes on canvas. I will develop my ideas and interest of the cottage country through paintings, oil and water colour.

How has personal research, the creative process, as well as history, society, and culture influenced my work?

·      In my work there will be a strong connection with culture and history. This will have to do with the aboriginals, who live up in these northern areas. I wish to include some of their symbols or techniques, as they are an important part about the history of the land. My personal research has shown me the importance of colour and of shape in these settings.


2.             What personal connections do you feel you have with your art piece and the scenes that you are portraying?

·      Two month’s ago I decided to do my female artist project on Emily Carr. I found her work very inspiring and especially her Georgian Bay scenes. I for all of my life have loved my cottage on Georgian Bay and could not think of a prettier spot to paint landscape photos and express my last talent of high school into such a keen interest of mine. I have a strong connection with the beauty of the rocks and sunsets etc. and also feel that I am extremely interested in that style of art and have been for a while. As I have never painted anything like this even in this medium, I feel it will be a great challenge, but what will help is my personal connection and love for the material I am studying.

How will I include nature in my work?

·      I plan to include a lot of the natural elements. This includes free flowing water, tall trees, animals, to take focus off of the human and focus the painting on nature, and the beauty of it.

What things might you consider doing to change the outcome of your final piece, structurally, or non structurally?

·      I can see myself playing with many different ideas. This could range from using matte medium glazes to splitting my painting up into different sections that are all put together at the end. I know I want to make the painting structurally large, and by breaking the painting up into smaller paintings I might be able to different effect from a plain one-canvas painting.

3. a.              First theme I will be focusing on is peace and serenity-

·      This theme gives me many options and directions in which I could base my painting on. This theme evokes soft feelings; therefore I would use warm colours, and calm settings. Paintings such as a sunset, lighthouse, canoe in open water, rocks in the open, etc, evoke these feelings and connect strongly to the theme.

b.             The second theme that I will focus on is playfulness.

·      I wish to use a happy joyful edge to my painting by perhaps involving water sports. Whether it is someone canoeing, kayaking or even swimming, in the background, the playful theme is there. I was thinking I could possibly paint almost a silhouette painting of a wake boarder in the night air. I also have always loved the scene of a regatta and was pondering painting a canoe race head on.

4.            The elements and principles of design that I will be working on with my painting are shape and texture. I want to use my skills of painting with thick layers and translate it to a cottage country seen. I want to focus on shape, as in cottage country are a lot of trees and rocks that look amazing when given a vey 3-D look. I will try working as well with thin wavy smooth lines to define the rocks, giving a different texture. I might go in different directions with the paintings, and focus more on texture with one of them and focus on shape with the other.

5.             The mediums I wish to use are oil paint and watercolour. I have over my high school career used a lot of acrylic paint and would like to try and experiment with new mediums. I think that the difference between watercolour and oil could be an extremely cool contrast in terms of the texture of the painting.

6.             For this project the supplies I need include:

·      Oil Paint
·      Water Paint
·      Canvas

7.             In order to meet all of the deadlines I will need to work ahead of time and work outside of class regularly. I feel that I wont have trouble painting once I have started but I need to start ASAP. The next deadline is April 29th and for that I will need not only the proposal for my second art piece but the final product of this art piece. Starting this week I will try and get good headway on my new painting by getting as much reference material as possible and clearly thinking out what I want to do. By the end of next week I wish to be part way through the painting and two weeks from now I wish to be finishing it up as I will need to brainstorm for my second proposal. The following due date is May 19th where I will need to have my other art work done along with the resource journal and portfolio interview. I feel if I stay on top of the deadlines by working ahead early I should be fine completing my paintings on time and in good fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment